Sunday, November 20, 2011

Selection Conference / PA School Interviews #2

Yesterday I had the privilege of participating in my school's selection conference for the fifth time.  The first two times I participated as an applicant.  I still remember the first time that I went.  I remember the awe-struck feeling that I had when I walked into that room and saw 40 of my peers milling around.  The awe increased when I realized who my peers were - these were respiratory therapists, paramedics, military medics and corpsman, athletic trainers with 10+ years of experience as the head ATC for a professional sports team...  I remember thinking, "How did I get grouped in with such highly qualified professionals?"  I seem to remember thinking to myself that if these were the type of people who were applying to PA school, how could I consider myself ready when I had the bare minimum of qualifications?  I was excited to be there, honored to be there.  But perhaps not really ready.  There was an undeniable desire to get into the program, to spend years learning alongside intelligent and driven people like these.  There was no question of what I needed to do for my future - I needed to be a PA.

I didn't get accepted that first year, and by the providence of God.  The second interview was much smoother for me - I was less nervous, certainly put a better foot forward, and had the confidence necessary to get the job done.   But again I was awestruck by the quality of my peers.  Again I felt that I paled in comparison to some, but would benefit others with my perseverance and diligence.  It was a great group.  I was honored to be among them, and this time I felt that I had something to bring to the table.  It was an absolutely delightful day.

I got accepted the that year and began my PA school evolution the following year.  As a student I helped out with some administrative details of the interviews and I helped to "sell" the program to the candidates by discussing with them the aspects of the school that I liked most, the things that were hardest but how they could be overcome,   and just how interesting studying to be a PA is.  We had several meetings with the students throughout the day - lunch and a social after the interviews.  Again I was honored to be a part of the process in my small way.  The group, once again, represented an amazing conglomeration of individuals, outstanding experience, and amazing drive.

Last year I was able to participate in the interview process for the fourth time.  But this time I was given the opportunity to help select the next class of students to attend the program.  You can read what I wrote about that last year, here.  The experience was once again remarkably exciting, inspiring, and at the same time humbling.  Again I was struck by the fact that there were some highly qualified applicants who were rejected for one reason or another, but here I was interviewing them as a current student.  How did I get in, and these people were not going to?  Again, the grace of God.  But on top of this, and something I didn't realize until this year, is that now I am part of selected and building the class, and thereby the future of my PA program.  What a great responsibility and privilege.

This year, that responsibility and privilege was more tangible.  As a graduate now I have a new perspective.  First of all, I am so thankful for my PA program - the instructors, the office folks, the student affairs coordinators - these people invested a lot in me and have helped me succeed.  I owe them a lot.  I have always appreciated them, but I didn't see it well as a student because I was in the middle of just trying to survive PA school.  Secondly, I now see that I am part of their history, the school's history.  And now, as a part of the profession that they have worked to protect and build, I feel greatly inclined to continue to be part of their future as well.  The school and the people who make it up are all outstanding, and they have put together one of the top programs in the nation.  From this new perspective on the PA program itself and on the people we select to represent us as future colleagues, I think there may be a place for me among the faculty.  I feel a slight but not subtle calling to try teaching the next round of "kids" that come through our doors.  It is an exciting calling, a humbling calling, and one that I look forward to. 

And yet, I know I still have a lot to learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment