Friday, November 11, 2011

Busy month

This past month has been a blur.  So much has transpired that I have difficulty keeping it straight.  I think I saw something like 160 patients last month (though I had well over 200 on my schedule) - this is not a lot for some practices, but I work in a managed care organization so our rate is a little slower.  That said, every patient that we see has 2-3 chronic medical problems - diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, coronary artery disease, chronic kidney disease/renal failure, congestive heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (and still smoking a pack-a-day), you name it - and they are on a host of medications.  So all our visits are just enough time to take care of them thoroughly and stay sane.  I'm seeing almost the same number as my peers - some of whom have been there for 2-3 years, so I feel comfortable with my patient load.  I know it will get higher as time goes on and I change jobs, but it really is perfect for a new graduate.  I have seen some fairly scary things, picked up some odd diagnoses (though nothing spectacular like a pheochromocytoma), and done a few surgeries (minor things like skin biopsies).  It has been humbling, frightening, exhilarating, and challenging.  It is everything I had hoped for in a new career, and it pays the bills.  I am remarkably blessed to have this opportunity and can't wait to see what the future holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment