Saturday, August 13, 2011

The last day

As it turns out, my last day of clinical rotations was a day earlier than I expected.  At about 1430 and 3 patients into our "minor care" afternoon I experienced sudden onset of shaking chills, dizziness, fatigue, slight confusion (I kept getting words mixed up), and what later turned out to be a temp over 101.  This developed into what I think was strep pharyngitis and otitis media.  The first ear infection I ever remember having.  Long story short, I didn't make it to work on Friday. 

Thus Friday was a bittersweet day for me.  Very sweet in that I knew there were no more clinical hours to be logged by me... No more patients to be entered into the computer tracking software...  No more of the tedium of that part of becoming a PA.  But it was quite bitter in that I had made it through 119 out of my 120 day rotation without an illness of any kind to be laid low by something so simple.  It was frustrating - like being pulled from the big game in the last minute of the fourth quarter because my shoe came untied and I tripped. 

That said - I did manage to have a good and productive week.  I was reminded again that cultural differences mean volumes when addressing patients and working at providing good patient care.  I must remind myself of this often.  I need to be wary of bringing my pre-conceived ideas into the exam room when discussing options or the best method for caring for the patient, or even in how I approach decisions so simple as, "Sew 'em or send 'em to the ER?" 

In all, though, I feel an enormous and immeasurable sense of relief.  It is so good to be done with all of that.  I can't really put it into words.  Just a few small steps now until graduation and until I get that -C after my PA.  Then the world will take shape and I'll actually realize what I've gotten myself into!  I still can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment