Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Day #1

Rest assured - I won't be doing a post-a-day about my experiences as a PA in a family practice clinic.  But the first day was one that I will always remember - some good things, some bad things. 

It was far from perfect, but always comical - the very first patient of the day needed a procedure.  The procedure was one I know how to do and have performed several times.  I got all ready to do it - pulled all my sterile instruments, laid them on a tray.  Prepped the patient including an injection and then I realized that the equipment I had available was not correct.  Not only that, we didn't have the correct equipment for the procedure I wanted to do.  So he needed  a different procedure at a different time.  That was frustrating. 

I also made a patient cry on my first day.  It was completely inadvertent - but when I explained all the possible etiologies of her condition, it was a little much to take in.  I was quick to explain that every one was treatable, there was nothing to worry about, but we needed to find out the right cause so we could help her.  That softened the situation a little. 

And of course there was the patient who comes in for one thing, but, "Oh, by the way...."  and the problems keep on coming. 

It was a good first day...  typical.  I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment