Friday, September 17, 2010

Preparation

Word has finally come down from higher up that I am confirmed to be doing my surgical clerkship first, beginning on Monday the 20th.  To say that I am excited is an understatement.  But it is also an understatement to say that I am a little intimidated. 

The surgical clerkship, I am told, can be gruelling.  Not only is surgery among the more rigorous medical specialties, but for a person without much operating room (OR) experience, this is much akin to diving into the deepest end of the pool possible.  Thankfully I have done well in the past by diving in head long and God has been good to always help me come to the top again. 

A few words on preparing for a surgical clerkship:

I have heard that having a thorough understanding of the anatomy involved, the indications for, and the procedures associated with laparoscopic appendectomy, cholecystectomy, and hernia repair is a good way to begin.  I will see many of these over the coming four weeks. 

I have also worked at tying good surgical knots.  I have spent hours on this task alone, and have plenty yet to learn.  But I am told this will come with time. 

Having a basic resource for understanding how to write the myriad pre-operative, post-operative, admit, and nightly progress notes has been helpful.  For most of this I have turned to the infamous "Scut Monkey" which I have already found to be a good resource. 

But here is my favorite way of preparing for a surgical rotation:


(In case you're wondering, that's me practicing suturing nasty gashes in a pig's leg)

I will do my best to pass along any tips/tricks I can think of to surviving a surgical clerkship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment