Saturday, September 25, 2010

Good Medicine

A couple of days ago I was tasked with doing a consult in the Emergency Room to determine what the patient's status was, confirm the suspected diagnosis, and determine what admitting orders were needed for the patient.  I found the patient easily and had a brief conversation with the provider (a PA, by the way).  To make a long story short (and HIPAA compliant) the patient's illness worsened and we ended up having to do surgery.  I was able to assist, and the operation went off without a hitch.  It was an unparalleled experience for me and one I hope I won't soon forget.  Taking care of another person on this level is what I have always wanted to do and I suppose this was my first chance to do so.  I guess all I can say about it is that I feel blessed. 

The impact that this case had on me was indescribable.  This is the first patient that I have seen from the beginning of the hospital course, through the surgical course, and I will see this patient again next week to follow the case hopefully through discharge.  As I left the hospital I was filled with so many emotions that I could barely contain myself.  I felt compassion for the patient's plight, but pride and accomplishment that the surgeon with whom I work was able to make huge strides toward fixing the problems.  And then there was joy - I was overjoyed that my first week had ended so amazingly. 

As I write this I feel a bit cheesy.  I'm not one to talk about emotion much, but this week has just been so very filled with emotions of all types that I feel it's an important part of the process of getting through a clerkship.  Recognize and understand your own emotions and don't be surprised or dismayed by them.  At least, I think that's the way to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment