Sunday, July 8, 2012

In Other News...

I admittedly tend to ramble about the theoretical and conceptual aspects of medicine; the psychological challenges that I and my colleagues have faced, and the mindset we carry. 

But today I want to talk about a different aspect - my life as an EMT.  This job is still the most fun, if mostly because of the big kid in me.  I still get a kick out of turning those flashing lights on and sounding the sirens as we make our mad-dash across town.  It's a great group of folks, and we see some of the craziest stuff, get some of the most creative stories. 

Taking care of people on their worst day (or nearly that), while humbling, is still fun.  Today we were taking care of someone who was hurt pretty badly.  One of my partners said something that was mildly poetical in that it rhymed in a subtle way.  We were in the middle of carrying our patient who was having some trouble concentrating, but as soon as my partner said this funny little rhyme and I called it to all of our attention, our crew and the patient got a little chuckle out of it.  It was a nice reminder to me that, even in the middle of something kinda' scary, there is room for a little levity. 

I guess I did wax a little philosophical there, still thinking about the mindset we operate in.  Can't get away from that I guess.  But having a little fun while taking care of the sick and injured, that's a good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment