Saturday, April 23, 2011

Changes... They're a-comin'

Well, here we are....  Nearing the end of my clinical year and coming fast upon graduation.  Four months.....  123 days, 16 hours, and 39 minutes - but who's counting, right? 

The biggest things going on at present are that I am trying to get a job.  I have some prospects, which is very exciting considering the small area in which I had been looking.  We come from two small communities and the area employs a total of 29 PAs in 2010.  In 2009 the area employed 28 PAs - not a lot of growth over the past couple of years.  Thus, not a lot of job openings.  That's just fine.  I have an opportunity with a local practice and negotiations are underway.  I have secret hopes that more opportunities will come along (not that the one I have is poor) but I'm not holding my breath.  We are blessed.

The other thing that has been a big change is that my wife is picking up her practice again - she owns a home based business doing landscape design.  It has been a busy time for us, but seeing her apply her expertise and skill to beautifying peoples' homes and their land has been delightful.  She took a hiatus for a year-and-a-half in order to support me through PA school.  The sacrifices she has made have covered every area of our lives, and I am very grateful that she is able to re-institute one of the things she has always enjoyed.  She is an expert in my opinion (admittedly, I am biased) and seeing her talents displayed permanently around town has been pleasant, to say the least.  I am also glad to think that her sacrifices, as well as mine, will be coming to fruition very soon.  Again, we are blessed. 

So, where to next?  I will be heading to an Indian Health Services Clinic in a very rural town.  This promises to be an outstanding rotation, though the commute will a bit killer.  I will be able to work in the quick care, pediatric clinic, and diabetes clinic each week.  The providers I will be training under have many decades of experience, so there will be much knowledge I can gain from them.  This is my final rotation - it will span the next four months and will culminate in graduation. 

Six words: I cannot wait til the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment